Quinoa – chickpeas salad is a great choice for lunch or dinner. Quinoa itself is very healthy and gluten-free, nutritious and delicious.
This grain can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It can be combined with sweet, sour or salty ingredients. Quinoa is one of the most healthiest grains.
SOME HEALTH BENEFITS OF Quinoa:
- Quinoa is a good source of fibers and protein, therefore, helps to regulate the blood sugar level. It also helps to reduce the cholesterol level and to maintain the level of “good” cholesterol.
- The anti-inflammatory nutrients in quinoa help to protect blood vessels from inflammatory damages, as a result, reduce risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- It has low risk of allergy.
- It’s gluten-free.
- Quinoa has Low Glycemic Index (GI) – it means that it’s slow digested, and the grain produces gradual rise in blood sugar and insulin levels, thus helps to improve both glucose and lipid levels, as well as delay hunger.
- There are two flavonoids – quercetin and kaempferol in quinoa, and a lot of antioxidants, which reduce risk of cancer.
INGREDIENTS (FOR 4 PEOPLE):
- Quinoa – 1 glass
- Chickpeas (cooked) – 200 g
- Cherry tomatoes – 200 g
- Mushrooms (I use brown champignons) – 350 g
- Onion – 1 pcs
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Olive oil (for frying) – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil (for dressing) – 3 tbsp
- Linen oil (optionally) – 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Balsamic – 1 tbsp
- Cook quinoa as it’s written on the package. Leave it cool down.
Tips: I cooked quinoa in proportion: one part of the grain to two parts of water. After it is brought to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cover. One cup of quinoa takes 15 minutes to prepare.
NB! In order to remove the bitter taste of quinoa, don’t forget to rinse it under the cold water couple of times before cooking.
2. Wash and cut the cherry tomatoes in halves or quarters.
3. Wash and cut the mushrooms into quarters.
4. Heat the pan with the butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chopped onion. Cook on the medium heat for approximately 5 min. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 10 min on the medium heat. Leave to cool down.
Tips: In this recipe I use the brown champignons, but you can use any mushrooms on your taste.
5. Put the cooked quinoa, chickpeas, tomatoes and the cooked mushrooms in the bowl. Add the olive oil, linen oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Tips: I usually use the cooked chickpeas from the jar which I buy in the supermarket. It saves time. But if you want, you can always cook it yourself.
6. The salad can be served with the grilled chicken and zucchini or with any other vegetables and meat on your taste.