Indulge in the Festive Joy with Our Spitzbuben Cookies Recipe!
Welcome to the world of Spitzbuben, the cookies that are a must-try for any festive baking enthusiast. These delicate, buttery cookies with a heart of red currant jam are not just delicious but also a joy to make.
- Flour – 300 g, plus extra for dusting
- A pinch of salt
- Ground almonds – 100 g
- Powdered sugar – 150 g
- Butter at room temperature (regular or lactose-free) – 200 g
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla paste – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Zest – 1 tsp
- Red currant jam
- Sift flour, salt, and powdered sugar into a bowl. Add ground almonds, butter, vanilla paste, and egg.
- Knead everything together with a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes, then form a smooth dough with your hands.
- Shape the dough into a big pancake-like shape, wrap it in cling film, and let it chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Work with half the dough at a time, keeping the rest chilled. Take the dough out from the refrigerator a few minutes before rolling it to make it easier to work.
- Next, dust the surface with flour and roll out the dough until it is around 3 mm thin.
- Now is the funniest part, cut out the cookies and make that signature Spitzbuben shape. Make festive motives cut-outs in half of them. However, if you don’t have a cookie form, you can use small objects from apple cutter to cocktail straw to poke 1-3 holes.
- Carefully place your cookies on the baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake them on the middle shelf of the oven for 10-12 minutes until they are lightly golden. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- While warm, sandwich the cookies with red currant jam.
- Let your cookies cool down completely, and dust with powdered sugar.
Enjoy this winter season with homemade Spitzbuben!
If you like this recipe, please put a rating on the top of this page.
Remember, you can always get creative with the jam or cookie shapes. Share your favourite Spitzbuben variations in the comments below!