Bake the Perfect Festive Treat: Classic Shortbread Cookies
Welcome to our delightful Christmas baking journey with this classic Shortbread Cookies recipe. These cookies are not just a festive treat but a symbol of holiday joy and warmth. These shortbread cookies are perfect for involving kids and loved ones in the baking process, making it a cherished family activity.
- Butter at room temperature (regular or lactose-free) – 250 g
- Caster Sugar (I use powdered brown sugar) – 125 g
- Egg – 1 pcs
- Flour (sifted) – 250 g, plus extra for dusting
- Corn Starch – 125 g
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of salt
- Start with mixing the butter and sugar with a stand – or hand mixer until fluffy and light colour.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth.
- Mix the sifted flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, kneading into a smooth dough.
- The dough will be soft and delicate but holds its shape and doesn’t stick to your hands. Wrap the dough with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C (Conventional).
- Cut a quarter of the dough and keep the rest of it in the fridge. Put the dough on a dusted flour surface and knead it for a few seconds to make it easier to roll out. Roll it to 4-5 mm thickness.
- Using different cookie cutters, shapes and stamps, cut out the pastry. Remember, you can get creative with cookie shapes and decorations. Share your favourite shortbread cookie variations in the comments below!
- Carefully place your shortbreads on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake your cookies in the oven on the middle shelf for approximately 10-12 minutes.Keep an eye on them so that they don’t burn! Cookies are ready when the edges become light brown!
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool off completely. It’s the most challenging part, as its incredible aroma fills the kitchen and the whole house.
- Store your cookies in an airtight container (glass or metal).
- Finally, serve them with a cup of tea or a glass of warm milk. Santa would love these cookies, so keep some for him, too! :)
For more holiday baking ideas, check out our GINGERBREAD COOKIES.
Happy Holiday Baking!