Oberhofen Castle is the romantic castle on the shore of Lake Thun.
It’s like a castle from fairy tale. It’s funny enough, when I was a kid, I had a 2000 pcs puzzle with a picture of the castle. I always thought it was not a real one, just a fantasy castle from a fairy tale. I loved that picture. I even glued the puzzle and looked at it everyday imagining a princess whom lives there. After many years accidentally I saw the picture of my castle on the guide brochure in Switzerland. I was shocked! My castle is real! :) I knew I had to go there. So here I am!
The castle was built in the 13th century. Nowadays, it’s a museum about residents who lived in the castle from 16th to 19th century. Inside so many rooms with design and furniture from different centuries – from the Neo-Gothic dining hall to the Oriental Smoking Room.
Another famous part of the castle is park. Big, English-style park is next to the castle. The park is the group of trees, bushes and flowers from different part of Switzerland and Europe. I had the magical feeling walking in the park, seeing beautiful trees, mountains and the lake. Park is considered as one of the most beautiful parks in Switzerland.
Good to know:
- Oberhofen Castle can be reached by boat or by bus from Thun. The boat station, as well as the bus station, is right next to the train station in Thun.
- Price for the boat trip: Adult (one way, 2nd class) – 12.40 CHF; GA is valid for the ferry trips.
- Timetables: Departure from Thun at 8:40; 9:40; 11:40; 12:40; 13:40.
- The trip Thun – Oberhofen Castle by boat takes 20 min.
- Entrance fee in the castle is 10 CHF.
- Working hours: Tu – Su (Mo closed), 11 am – 5 pm.
- There is a cloakroom inside.
- There is a restaurant with an amazing view of the lake and Alps in the park next to the castle.
- There is a room where one can make selfies in beautiful princess hats.
- Coming back from the castle to Thun is more comfortable with a bus because it’s difficult to arrange the tour in the castle with the boat timetable. Buses on the other hand run quite often.
- The bus #21 or #25 Oberhofen Dorf – Thun, Bahnhof. The trip takes around 15 min.
- Prices for the buses: Adults (one way) – 3.00 CHF ; GA is valid for the buses.
More info about Oberhofen Castle -> here
More info about boats timetables and prices -> here
Trains and buses info on SBB
If you are interested in what to see in Thun, check my post about it -> Thun – the city of the emerald water
There is a small chapel in the castle which is still used for weddings ceremonies. Trip to the castle is a nice surprise for the loved ones!
I hope you’ll enjoy the romantic atmosphere of Oberhofen Castle. I felt as if I was a princess from my fairy tale castle! :)
If you have a dream, believe in it! It definatly will become true! :)
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH