Tibetan Bridge “Carasc” is a bridge that connects two mountains in the rough valley between Sementina and Monte Carasso, two towns next to Bellinzona.
- Length of the bridge is 270 m.
- Attached the bridge at the hight of 695 m and rises 130 m above the ground.
- The bridge was opened in 2015.
- The Tibetan Bridge “Carasc” is one of the longest suspension bridges in Switzerland.
The bridge is a magnificent engineering piece of art! Crossing is a thrilling experience! I saw gorgeous mountains, heard the river somewhere underneath the bridge and felt fresh, but strong wind on my face. Yet, like others suspension bridges it swings and it gives a good dose of adrenaline! Of course, the fact that it’s a new bridge and it’s Swiss made gives the confidence to cross it a few times! :)
good to know:
- One can reach Carasc from Monte Carasso or Sementina. The way through Monte Carasso is shorter. That’s why I made round trip on that path.
- Travel time from Monte Carasso to the bridge – one and a half hours.
- Trough Monte Carasso: by train to Bellinzona – from Bellinzona train station take the bus #311 (direction – Locarno) till the stop Monte Carasso, Urenn/Funivia – walking ahead for approximately 2 min to the cableway Monte Carasso-Curzútt-Mornera – take the cable car to Curzútt – hiking from Curzútt to the bridge (approximately an hour).
- Cable car runs every 15 min.
- Price for the cable car: Monte Carasso – Curzútt – Monte Carasso 8 CHF for Adults, cash only, GA is not valid.
- The cableway Monte Carasso-Curzútt takes 10 min.
- Hiking requires comfortable hiking or sport shoes.
- For the easy travel and an amazing view the weather should be sunny.
More info about timetable and prices of the cableway Monte Carasso-Curzútt-Mornera -> here
Curzútt is an ancient stone village located on the hill above Monte Carasso. It’s an ideal starting point to explore that area. There is the hiking path of ‘Via delle Vigne’, which leads through the stone village and an ancient church of San Bernard to the bridge.
More info about Curzútt -> here
Carasc is a new bridge, but I’m sure, it has already been included in the list of Top Swiss Attractions.
I really enjoyed the exciting hiking path and spectacular Tibetan Bridge “Carasc”!
If you have a little bit of energy left after hiking, you should definitely visit Bellinzona – the beautiful city which is famous with its castles. The post about Bellinzona is here -> Castles of Bellinzona
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH