We often wonder which shaving razor is the best: electric, cartridge, safety double-edge or straight? When, in fact, the best shaving razor is the sharp razor!
From the medical point of view, the best razor is indeed the sharp one. Because of minimum pressure on the skin, the sharp razor causes less after shaving irritations and less ingrown hairs.
Nowadays, the straight and double-edge razors become very popular again. Their popularity has been growing up dramatically for the last few years. Still, there are a lot of men, who would prefer the newest and latest innovations in the area of shaving accessories. So the question remains, what kind of shaving equipment to choose?
- Cost. Straight razors were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. Today, they are fashionable again. A standard straight razor is made of stainless steel. These razors need to be sharpened by a strop (a leather belt). Basically, the straight razor is a life-long equipment. From this perspective the cost is a plus. However, I doubt that many men would use it as a single shaving option.
- The cleanest and smoothest. Straight razors have the sharpest edges and provide the cleanest shaving effect with the smoothest skin.
- No irritation and acne. When the straight razor is sharpened properly, there is no risk of getting irritation or acne. Moreover, it is easy to clean.
- Safety. The biggest problem with straight razors is the risk of receiving a serious injury because the blade can easily cut deep into skin.
- Speed. It’s important to go slowly and take your time while using this type of razor because the edges are extremely sharp.
- Convenience. Obviously, the straight razor is not allowed in a carry-on.
Safety double-edge razor
- Cost. Safety razors are consist of a permanent handle (wood, metal, plastic, stone) and a metal head which holds a replaceable razor blade made of steel with two sharp edges.
This blade needs to be replaced at least once a week (maybe even more often, depends on your hair structure and how often you need to shave). However, the price is usually low and affordable.
- Clean and smooth. For many years, safety razors have been the most used razors in the world. Nowadays, they once again become popular and not without a good reason. Double-edge razors require only a slight touch for an excellent clean shave.
- No irritation and acne. These razors are the best for men with sensitive or acne prone skin. When replaced on time, the double-edge razor blades are very sharp and require a very light touch for effective shaving. As a result of so small pressure on the skin, the chance of irritation or acne is very little. On the other hand, the chance of getting nicked is very high.
- Speed. You can’t rush yourself while shaving with a double-edge razor. It also requires learning a correct technique.
- Safety. If you don’t have experience of using it, you might cut yourself a few times while learning how to use and curve it correctly. If you happened to cut yourself, don’t forget to disinfect the wounds.
- Convenience. Keep in mind, the double-edge razor is not allowed in a carry-on.
- Speed. Electric razors are, probably, the fastest razors for the morning routine.
- Safety. Electric razors are absolutely safe. It’s impossible to cut yourself with it.
- Convenience. They are very good for traveling: quicker, safer, easier with security at the airport. Therefore, they are perfect for both business trips and vacations.
- Cost. The approximate price would be between 50 – 300$. So, as a long-term investment, the cost is a plus.
- Skin irritation, ingrown hair, acne. The biggest problem with electric shavers is that they often cause acne, ingrown hair and general skin irritation. It happens because while shaving you move the shaver on the same skin area over and over, thus, the sebum pores are getting blocked. Moreover, sometimes the razor pulls some hair out, causing skin irritation.
- Not clean shaving. There is no electric shaver which can shave as smooth and clean as a manual one.
- Speed. Like electric shavers, cartridge razors are very popular because they provide fast and safe morning routine. However, unlike electric, cartridge razors require shaving cream or gel.
- Convenience. Cartridge razors are also comfortable for traveling.
- Safety. The way they are designed, makes it almost impossible to cut yourself. Hence, this type of razors are also safe.
- Skin irritation, ingrown hair, acne. For the best results, you have to change the cartridge regularly (at least ones a month, but maybe even more often, depends on how often you need to shave). So, what happens if you don’t do that: the blades become dull and you move with not only one, but with three or five dull blades over the skin surface destroying the skin natural barrier and blocking the pores. In addition, the space between blades accumulates skin flakes, sebum and germs. As a result, the cartridge that has not been replaced on time, will lead to skin irritation, acne and ingrown hair. Once again, your shaver blades should be sharp!
- Cost. For the reason above you have to change cartridges quite often, and it’s not that cheap.
In our fast urban life you need to consider all these different factors while choosing your perfect shaving equipment.
Don’t forget to use good quality gels, creams and balms before, and even more important after shaving. After-shaving products play a big part in how fast your skin will regenerate, how to reduce skin irritation, prevent acne and ingrown hair.
Feel free to share your favourite razors and products in the comments below.
Finally, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us -> GET IN TOUCH