Russian Salad is a classic recipe during winter holidays in the Eastern Europe. Although the salad is known around the world as Russian Salad, in the Eastern Europe it bears the name of a french chef Lucien Olivier. He created the salad in his restaurant in Moscow in the middle of XIX century. However, the name is not that important, when so many people enjoy this delicious humble salad.
- Potatoes (medium size) – 4-5 pcs
- Large free range eggs – 4 pcs
- Carrots – 2 pcs
- Chicken breast – 1 whole breast around 350 g
- Pease – 1 can around 180 g
- Pickles – 4 pcs medium size or 5-6 small ones
- Mayonnaise – around 200 g or to taste
- Sour cream or Natural Yoghurt – around 180 g or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
NB! You can totally adjust the amount of each ingredient to your liking.
- As you will need to cook and cool most of your ingredients, you can do steps 2-4 simultaneously.
2.Boil the unpeeled potatoes and carrots until ready. Drain and leave them to cool down. Once cold, peel them.
NB! Stove space saving tip: cook potatoes and carrots in the same pot. The vegetables are ready when you can easily poke through them with a knife.
3. Put the eggs into a pot with cold water. Bring to boil and cook from the boiling point for approx. 9 minutes. Now, carefully put the pot with the eggs under running cold water and let them cool for a few minutes. Then, peel them.
4.Put the whole chicken breast into a pot with cold water. Bring it to boil, add a pinch of salt and cook until ready for around 25 – 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water, put it on a plate and let it also cool down completely.
5. Now, fun part starts. Chop all the ingredients into small cubes, collecting them in a big bowl. This is where the whole family can participate. Everyone can choose a fav ingredient and chop it. Perhaps even a cube cutting contest! :) Above all, it should be fun and easy.
6. Open the can of pease, drain and add it to the salad.
7. Prepare the sauce by mixing the mayonnaise and the sour cream together. Also, add there a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well together.
8. Finally, dress your salad with the sauce. Check the consistency, everything should be evenly covered with the sauce.
9. Last but not least, let the salad chill for an hour in the fridge before serving.
BE HEALTHY AND WEALTHY!:)