Simple hummus is something I always wanted to master. I’ve tried so many recipes until I finally found my perfect hummus! :)
The main ingredient in hummus is chickpeas. These beans are super healthy, they are an excellent vegan and gluten-free source of protein and fiber. Additionally, chickpeas contain exceptional levels of vitamin B6, magnesium and some minerals, including selenium, which has anti-cancerogenic effect.
- Chickpeas (I use canned chickpeas) – 400 g tin, contains 215 g of chickpeas;
- Hot water or vegetable broth – 1/2 cup = 125 ml;
- Garlic – 1 clove;
- Ground cumin – 1 tsp;
- Tahini (sesame seed paste) – 1 tbsp;
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp;
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp;
- Salt – pinch;
- Paprika – 1/2 of tsp;
- Chilli (I use powder) – 1/2 of tsp;
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Put the chickpeas into the deep big bowl with water and softly grind it with the hands in oder to remove translucent films from the bean’s surface. It’s a very easy and fast procedure, but it’s important not to skip it. The texture of the hummus without the films will be smooth and silky. We’ve done the most difficult part!:)
- Pour the chickpeas into the blender or the food processor. Add half of the hot vegetable broth (or the hot water). Secure the lid and give a short blitz, until forming a paste.
- Smash and peel the garlic. Add it into the food processor with the chickpeas paste.
- Add the rest of the hot vegetable broth (or the hot water) into the food processor.
- Also, add tahini, ground cumin, salt, paprika and the chilli powder into the food processor.
- Secure the lid and give a nice blitz, until smooth puree.
- Open the lid and add olive oil. Secure the lid and give one more short blitz.
- Open the lid and add the lemon juice. Secure the lid and give one last nice blitz. Almost ready!:)
- Taste your hummus and add any of ingredients to taste if necessary.
- Serving may vary from pouring the hummus to the one big plate or to the small portion bowls. Whatever way you choose, don’t forget to form a small stria using a spoon and put a bit of olive oil in there and dust up with a bit of paprika.
- Pita bread, sliced vegetables and crackers are perfect for enjoying this simple and delicious hummus.
How do you like this recipe? Share your experience in the comments below.