Gingerbread Cookies, Best Spiced Biscuits For This Holiday Season
The smell of ginger, cinnamon and cloves in the house immediately brings up a festive mood! Try this easy recipe and celebrate the day with spiced and delicious cookies! You can also pack them in a nice box and give them as a yummy gift to friends and family.
This recipe is easily adjustable to your preferences. For example, substitute butter with lactose-free or caster sugar with ground brown sugar.
- Butter at room temperature (regular or lactose-free) – 100 g
- Caster Sugar (I use powdered brown sugar) – 100 g
- Egg – 1 pcs
- Honey (runny) – 3 tsp
- Flour (sifted) – 200 g, plus for dusting
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Ground Dried Ginger (Ginger Powder) – 2 tsp
- Ground Cloves (Cloves Powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon (Cinnamon Powder) – 1 tsp
- Ground Cardamom (Cardamom Powder)- 1 tsp
- A pinch of Salt
- Firstly, mix the butter and sugar with a stand mixer or a hand mixer until fluffy and light colour.
- Then, add an egg and the honey, and mix again with the mixer until smooth.
- Mix the sifted flour, baking powder, ground dried ginger, ground clove, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl.
- Add your aromatic flour mixture to the butter mixture and knead a smooth dough. The dough might be a little bit sticky, but don’t worry, after it cools down in the fridge, it will be just fine!
- Wrap the dough with cling film and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C (Conventional).
- Roll the dough to 4-5 mm thickness on the surface dusted with a bit of flour. You can also roll the dough directly on the baking paper.
- Using your favourite shapes and cookie cutters, cut out the cookies.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and carefully place your cookies on it.
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for approximately 7-10 min. Keep an eye on them so that they don’t burn!
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool off completely. Finally, you can decorate them with royal icing for their signature festive look. As you can see from the photos, my cookie cutter has a recognizable gingerbread men shape, so I usually skip the decor part. :)
- Store your delicious cookies in an airtight container.