Zermatt, Gornergrat – the best view to Matterhorn
Zermatt is a world-famous ski resort in the district of Visp, in the canton of Valais in Switzerland. Thanks to its location, surrounded by Swiss Alps, including breathtaking Matterhorn, it’s a paradise for winter-sport fans, nature and photography enthusiasts. The mountain Matterhorn is the one that you see on the packaging of your favourite Toblerone chocolate. So while visiting, don’t forget to take a memorable photo with it. Check the photos in this article for some photo ideas and picture perfect spots. I fall in love with Zermatt, with its unique character and absolutely fairy-like atmosphere.
Good to know:
- Zermatt is a car-free zone. People use bicycles, horses, small e-buses or e-taxi. The last one also works as a transfer for hotels. Actually, the town is very compact and everything can be reached by walking.
- How to reach from Zurich main train station: Zurich – Visp – Zermatt. The road takes approximately 3 hours. Timetables and prices you can always check on SBB website. Also, SBB App is very useful in planning trips.
- Population of Zermatt is only 5’760 people.
- Luxury resort means corresponding prices. However, sometimes hotels make special offers and great package deals.
- Zermatt is surrounded by Swiss Alps:
Monte Rosa, with its highest peak at 4’634 meters, called Dufourspitze, is the Switzerland’s highest peak.
Dom, with its highest peak at 4,545 meters.
Weisshorn 4,505 meters.
And of course, Matterhorn, which is 4,478 meters high.
- Zermatt offers numerous activities in the mountains and in the valley all year-long.
- For more details about the region, you may visit its official website.
Gornergrat – the best view to Matterhorn
Zermatt is a perfect starting point for exploring surrounding Alps. As for me, I went there in October before the town and the mountains got covered with snow, though most of the high peaks are covered with snow all year round anyway. There are several roads and places from where you could enjoy the view of the majestic Matterhorn. I went to Gornergrat with the Gornergrat train (Gornergrat Bahn), and it was an absolutely splendid experience.
Gornergrat is located at 3’100 meters above the see level. The view of the mountains from there is outstanding. You can see over 29 mountain peaks, some of which over 4’000 meters high, including the famous Matterhorn. Matterhorn itself is one of the symbols of Switzerland. It’s is 4,478 meters high and looks amazing from every side. Moreover, you can also see the Gorner Glacier, which is the second largest glacier in the Alps.
Good to know:
- Gornergrat Bahn is located just across the main train station in Zermatt.
- The timetable for winter 2016-2017 you may find in the photos below.
- Prices for the Gornergrat train, Zermatt – Gornergrat:
Adults: one way – 45 CHF; round trip – 90 CHF;
With Half Fare Card: one way is 22,50 CHF; round trip – 45 CHF.
- Trip Zermatt – Gornergrat takes around 30 min.
- The best view of the mountains, when there are no or just a little bit of high clouds.
- As you know, Matterhorn is printed on the packaging of the Toblerone chocolate. So, take one with you on the trip for a very memorable photo! :)
- More details about Gornergrat Bahn you can find on the official website.
At the top of Gornergrat, you will find a church and a hotel – 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat. This historic hotel was opened in 1907 and is the highest hotel in the Swiss Alps. It also has an observatory and two restaurants. The hotel offers its guests an incredible experience to discover mountains at night as well as to watch mesmerising starry skies.
Riffelsee & Rotenboden
On the way back to Zermatt, I recommend to hop off at the Rotenboden train station. There is a small, but beautiful lake, called Riffelsee, just 10 min walking from the train station. You can see reflection of Matterhorn in the lake. Totally breathtaking experience and a great photo spot! :)
I hope this information was useful for you, and wish you a joyful trip to Zermatt and Matterhorn.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH
BE HEALTHY AND WEALTHY! :)